Reporting to: Head of Program and Strategy
Duration of assignment: 12 months
Full-time/Part-time: 32 hours per week
Salary Indication: € 3700 - € 4500 (Scale 11-12) on a full time basis 36 hours
About Wetlands international
Wetlands International is dedicated to maintaining and restoring wetlands, for their environmental values as well as for human well-being. We work through a global network of offices, together with many partners and collaborators. We have set out ambitious goals and targets for 2011-2020 and are on a trajectory of growth in terms of our organisation and our impact. The issues we deal with in connection with wetlands – biodiversity, livelihoods, water, climate, disaster risk reduction and greening the economy – bring us into contact with a diverse range of stakeholders. Effective communications and advocacy is at the heart of our work, supporting projects and policy developments.
The organisation has a core staff of around 200 people in 18 offices world‑wide. Wetlands International works with partners in government, NGO’s and the private sector and manages a large number of global levels, multi-partner projects. Our work ranges from working at the grass roots level with community groups to advocacy at global conventions. The Ede office is the headquarters of the global organisation.
The Peatrus project
The PeatRus project is an activity under the bilateral cooperation of Germany and Russia. It provides technical assistance for the rehabilitation of over 40,000 ha of degraded peatlands, to reduce fire risks and greenhouse gas emissions and help secure and enhance the biodiversity of the peatlands. The project governed by a high-level Supervisory Board which meets biannually in Moscow. The project is managed by Wetlands International which reports to the German Development Bank (KFW). The scientific and technical project activities are organized under six project components. Project Partners organisations are each in charge of one or more of these components, and coordinate their plans and progress through a Partner Board which meets regularly. A small Project Implementation Unit in Moscow assists the organization and monitoring of project sub-contracts and activities by the partners and sub-contractors in Russia.
INSIDE Wetlands International:
Head of Programme and Strategy - Wetlands & Livelihoods, Senior Technical Officer – Arctic, Chief Operations Officer, Chief Executive Officer, headquarters’ staff, staff from office network.
OUTSIDE Wetlands International:
Project partners: Technical and management staff of the Ministry of Nature Resources and the Environment of the Russian Federation, the Institute of Forestry Sciences - Russian Academy of Sciences, Michael Succow Foundation, and Greifswald University.
Other: KfW, Russian government representatives at different levels; international and Russian experts; academic institutions and NGOs.
Overall Purpose of the job
To Project Manager will be responsible for the coordination of the project management team (including the Project Supervisor and Chief Technical Coordinator) and Partner Board, ensuring the timely implementation of the technical, scientific and policy oriented project components and be responsible for the administrative management of the overall PeatRus project, including overall project finance and technical progress reporting to the German Development Bank (KfW).
- Manage the relationship with KfW on behalf of Wetlands International and the Partner Board.
- Manage the timely drafting and finalisation of annual operation plans, financial and technical reports for submission to KfW, including ensuring submission of relevant technical outputs from project partners
- Manage overall project technical and financial progress and inform KfW in a timely manner if problems arise which could impact on achievement of results
- Coordinate the Partner Board and monitor follow up on agreed plans and action points from the Partner and Supervisory Boards by the project team
- Coordinate implementation of the project components related to international policy and communications, in close cooperation with project partners
- Ensure that all project contracting and tendering is in line with KfW requirements
- Coordinate with the Chief Technical Coordinator the implementation of project components and activities by project partners
- Oversee the operations of the Project Implementation Unit in Moscow, in coordination with the Chief technical Coordinator. This includes overseeing and management of contracts with local partners and individual subcontractors.
- Manage the technical, financial and administrative documentation of the project, including the central project filing system.
- Liaise with project stakeholders on an as-needed basis.
- Ability to work with EXACT Globe 2003, including Project Module
- Ability to work with MS Office applications
- Good written and spoken English
- Good communication skills
- Ability to work in a team
- Enjoy working in an international multi-cultural organisation
- Minimum university degree, preferably MSc in relevant scientific discipline (e.g. water management, ecology, geography, environmental science/management)
- Excellent communication and reporting skills (written and oral) with fluent English
- Over 5 years working experience in the NGO or Corporate sector in a senior project/program management capacity
- Experience of working in an international multi-cultural community
- Ability to travel and work independently
- An understanding of the role of international non-governmental organizations in promoting sustainable development solutions
- Russian and German language skills are desirable
- Interest in working an international multi-cultural community Active interest in current environment and development matters
For more information about Wetlands International please, visit our website www.wetlands.org
To request more information on this post and application procedure, please e-mail email@example.com or contact Silva Paronakian, HR Officer by telephone 0318 660913(Absent on Wednesdays). For the questions on the content of the job please contact Marcel Silvius, Head of Program and Strategy by telephone 0318 660910.
When applying for this vacancy, please send us a resume and an application letter indicating your reference PM-2013 in the subject line of your e-mail.
The closing date for receipt of applications for the above post is 18 January 2013.