Full-time position: 36 hours per week
Based in: Wageningen office, Netherlands
Grade: Salary Range € 2908- 4867
Wetlands International is a leading global non-profit organisation, dedicated to the work of wetlands conservation as a contribution to sustainable development. The organisation is the global authority on the status of wetlands and highlights critical scientific information to national and international governments and institutions that is highly relevant to sustainable development, human health, climate change adaptation and biodiversity conservation strategies. Through long-term projects, Wetlands International demonstrates practical, community-based approaches to reversing the damaging impacts of wetland degradation to people and nature.
The STO will develop, manage and implement initiatives to further the objectives of the Wetlands International-Shell partnership and other relevant aspects of Wetlands International’s programmatic work on wetlands, climate and biofuels.
(1) In the context of UNFCCC, RSPO and other climate and biofuels-related institutions, policy fora and networks:
a. Catalyse the development and implementation of policy, strategy and advocacy for WI, including in context of WI’s corporate and climate partnerships;
b. Represent WI;
c. Engage Shell and other partners particularly from the private sector, donors and other investors;
d. Establish and lead an WI inter-office team on wetlands, climate and biofuels.
(2) Lead advanced knowledge development on climate and biofuels issues, involving WI’s global knowledge base.
(3) Any other duties assigned by the Global Corporate Relations Manager.
(4) Programme support, including project development and coordination, management of technical expertise and networking on biofuel sustainability and other climate issues – including:
a. A global quickscan/risk assessment of wetlands/biofuels issues;
b. Sustainable sourcing of biofuels;
c. Mitigation and offset opportunities (especially in the voluntary markets, e.g. through the proposed “Global Peatland Fund”).
INSIDE Wetlands International:
Global Corporate Relations Manager, Shell Partnership Adviser, Senior Programme Manager Wetlands and Livelihoods, Inter-office team on wetlands and biofuels, Communications Manager, other members of the Shell partnership team, Global Support Team, Wageningen Office support staff.
OUTSIDE Wetlands International:
Members of Shell-WI Steering Committee, Shell and its partners, National Governments, Conservation NGOs.
· Demonstrated experience as policy analyst, advocate and manager in the field of environment, climate and biofuels.
· Extensive networking and interpersonal skills.
· Experience working in or with NGOs.
· Knowledge of corporate sustainable development approaches.
· Understanding of oil, gas (or other extraction industries).
· Teamplayer, with excellent verbal and written communication skills, including in relation to technical and policy briefs.
· Fluent verbal and written English essential. Other language skills, especially French and Spanish, an advantage.
· Good working knowledge of information technology and management systems.
· Sensitivity to cultural and gender matters.
Qualifications and Experience
· Established networks in the environment and sustainable development field.
· Working knowledge of climate and biofuel policy.
Strong technical background, with at least equivalent of Masters in Environmental Sciences background
If you are interested in applying and fit the preferred profile as described above, please send your application letter and CV to Hacer Durmus, HR assistant (email@example.com)
Closing date 1st of March 2009