Senior Technical Officer – Knowledge-base
Reporting to: Head of Programme and Strategy Biodiversity & Ecological Networks
Full-time/Part-time: Full-time, 36 hours per week
Location: Ede office, Netherlands
Grade: Scale 11-12
INSIDE Wetlands International:
Programme Heads (Livelihoods, Water, Biodiversity), Global Corporate Relations Manager, Shell Partnership Adviser, other members of Shell partnership team, Communication team, Global Support Team, Wageningen Office support staff and the expert network of Wetlands International.
OUTSIDE Wetlands International:
Network of partner organisations, including conservation NGO’s, Multilateral Environment Agreements (e.g. Ramsar Convention) Shell and its partners, National Governments, other holders of wetland knowledge..
Overall purpose of the job
The STO will lead advanced knowledge development on key thematic areas of WI’s work, including under the Shell partnership, so that stakeholders and decision-makers are well informed about the status and trends of wetlands, their biodiversity, socio-economic values and priorities for action, making Wetlands International one of the leading authorities on wetland knowledge.
Tasks and Responsibilities
(1) Develop the strategies, networks and initiatives, manage technical expertise and coordinate implementation of activities (including “Red Listing” threatened and otherwise vulnerable wetlands) to strengthen WI’s science/knowledge base (in particular, global wetlands database/index).
(2) Manage incorporation of information into the science/knowledge base from global quickscans/risk assessments, vulnerability/GIS mapping and other relevant sources of information globally.
(3) Develop science/knowledge base to be a readily- and widely-used clearing house for information on wetlands globally, for relevant stakeholders, including policy makers.
(4) Coordinate database/GIS support to developing the science/knowledge base.
(5) Any other duties assigned by the line manager.
The successful candidate will be an experienced and innovative manager in the field of international conservation or sustainable development, with experience in knowledge management.
Qualifications and Experience
- Around 10+ years experience in development, management and implementation of major international programmes/projects – preferably in technical/scientific institutional context, with experience in community-based initiatives.
- Qualifications and/or experience of social/environmental knowledge and its application to wetland conservation and wise use.
- Demonstrated expertise in knowledge management and knowledgebase development
- Demonstrated successful experience in the development, management and implementation of major international programmes/projects, including management of complex partnerships and budgets.
- Strong preference for extensive experience with governments and either international environmental NGOs or other institutions (with corporate exposure) or corporates (with exposure to international environmental matters).
- Understanding of use of knowledge in informing policy, strategy and advocacy.
- Understanding of oil, gas (or other extraction industries) an advantage.
- Extensive networking and interpersonal skills, with strong network of contacts of relevant individuals, institutions, governments and organisations.
- Teamplayer, with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Fluent verbal and written English essential. Other language skills an advantage.
- Good working knowledge of information technology and management systems.
- Sensitivity to cultural and gender matters.
Application (motivation letter + CV) should be in English.
Applications should be sent to Mrs Hacer Durmus, Administrative & Human Resources Assistant. You can send it by regular mail or to the e-mail address firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline for this vacancy is 11 June 2009.