Overall Purpose of the job
Coordinating and leading on the integrated and strategic development of information management systems to support Wetlands International’s efforts to safeguard wetlands and their ecosystem services around the world, with a focus on the biodiversity, wetlands & livelihood and water resource management. The job holder will have the opportunity to contribute to the organisation’s efforts to make a wide range of wetlands information accessible to decision-makers, planners and users of wetland users in collaboration with other organisations and networks around the world through the development of on-line databases and innovative on-line data presentation tools.
The successful candidate has an excellent understanding of on-line database and web-mapping applications with a keen interest in using such tools to support the conservation of Wetlands. (S)he should be able to understand user needs and develop technical solutions to satisfy them. (S)he should be able to communicate clearly and effectively both with partners both from the information management and the conservation or development sector.
Background of the position
Wetlands International is a global non-governmental organisation with a network of 20 offices worldwide dedicated to safeguard wetlands and their ecosystem services, with a focus on biodiversity, local livelihoods, water resource management and climate change. Wetlands International is recruiting a Senior Technical Officer for Information Management to strengthen our capacity to assess and communicate on the status and trends of wetlands to inform and guide priorities of a range of audiences.
The team currently includes a Programme Manager, a Technical Officer and a Technical Assistant. Currently, the main focus of the team is to manage the information on waterbird populations and Wetlands of International Importance (i.e. Ramsar Sites). In the near future, existing tools will be upgraded using common database and data presentation platforms. In the meantime, Wetlands International, together with a wide range of partner organisations, such as the Ramsar Convention Secretariat, the European Space Agency, the GEO BON Freshwater Working Group including, amongst others, Conservation International, WWF, IUCN, has embarked on the development of a Global Wetlands Observation System. The job holder will play a leading role in the technical realisation of this. In addition, she or he will contribute to overall planning and aligning of information management across the organisation.
INSIDE Wetlands International: CEO, COO, ICT steering group, headquarters office staff; staff from the office network. OUTSIDE Wetlands International: IT service providers, data users and data providers and wider networks of Wetlands International.
Responsibilities and tasks
- Develop pragmatic and integrated information management strategies to support Wetlands International’s work;
- Provide strategic and technical input into various programme areas across the organisation; including to project development
- Develop strategic partnerships in the field of information management and earth observations
- Lead on the development of on-line databases and data presentation tools to be used by the offices and partners of Wetlands International
- Support the communication of Wetlands International’s work and achievements through information technology
- Represent Wetlands International in relevant fora and events
- Develop and execute database queries to support ??something missing here
- Create dynamic web-based presentations of mapping data
- Guide the technical development of other members of the team in headquarters and the network of offices
Initially, the job holder’s work will focus on the following activities:
• Participate in the work of the IT Steering Group of Wetlands International
• Assessing the possibilities of integrating the existing wetland-related information held within Wetlands International
• Redevelopment of the on-line Ramsar Site Information Service on ArcGIS Server platform in collaboration with the Secretariat of the Ramsar Convention on Wetlands
• Development of on-line data presentation and analytical tools to support the realisation of the Global Wetlands Observation System to be implemented in collaboration with the Ramsar Convention and the GEO BON Freshwater Working Group
• Further improvement of the on-line International Waterbird Census Database
• Further improvement of the on-line Waterbird Population Estimates Database
• Update, further developm and assess opportunities for geographic expansion of the Critical Site Network Tool in collaboration with BirdLife International and the UNEP World Conservation Monitoring Centre.
Over time the range of activities will adjust according to development needs and opportunities.
Skills and experience
- Minimum university degree, preferably MSc in relevant scientific discipline (e.g. information management, programming, biology, geography, environmental science/management)t least 5 years working experience
- Excellent technical communication skills (written and oral) with fluent English, additional language skills are desirable
- Creativity and strong drive to find solutions to complex problems and user requirements
- Demonstrable experience in authoring and creating Web Mapping applications using HTML and CSS
- Experience of using server-side technologies to create dynamic web pages, e.g. ASP, ASP.NET, , IIS, Ruby
- At least 3 years Relational Database Management experience using one or more of SQL Server, Oracle, PostGRESQL
- Database design skills
- Analytical skills in analysing large datasets using data mining tools and business intelligence software
- Publication of Web Map Services using ArcGIS Server 9.3 or 10
- Cartographic skills in creating and publishing maps using ArcGIS Desktop using 9.3 or 10
- Geoprocessing and scripting experience using Python, VBA or other scripting language
- Native PostGIS development experience
- Certification in any of the technical skills needed
- Experience of working in an international multi-cultural community
- An appreciation for the role of international non-governmental organization and delivering sustainable development solutions
- Working experience in the field of creating and managing international datasets
- Ability to travel and work independently
- Ability to coach other members of the team
The Senior Technical Officer -Information Management is reporting to the Programme Manager – Wetlands Status and Trends
Full-time (36 hours per week)
Location: Ede, Netherlands with regular traveling
Scale: Scale 11 (indicative gross salary: € 3000 – 4000.- per month)
For applying to this vacancy, please send us a resumé and an application letter indicating your motivation to firstname.lastname@example.org before 3 September 2012. Please indicate our reference STO-IM2012 in the subject line of your e-mail. A first round of interviews is planned in the week of 10 September 2012.
For more information contact Stephan Flink (email@example.com, tel: +31 318 660 932).