NEWS: Boost to Wetlands International European Programme
In September 2013, seven European organisations joined forces to create Wetlands International – European Association. This new element of the global Wetlands International network will focus on the development and implementation of EU policy, and on its effects and impacts on global wetlands.
In February 2014 the Association was awarded an operating grant from the European Commission to assist in the implementation of its work programme, which focuses on themes such as nature & biodiversity, water, disaster risk reduction, climate change mitigation and adaptation. This grant reflects the European Commission’s recognition of the important contribution Wetlands International can make when it comes to linking science, policy and practice in relation to water, biodiversity and development issues.
Wetlands International European Association’s initial aims include:
- Raising awareness of policy and decision makers regarding the value of wetland ecosystems;
- Promoting the integration of wetland-related concerns into relevant sectoral policies of the European Union and promote synergies and policy coherence;
- Contributing to the implementation of EU environmental policy and legislation;
- Promoting investments for the conservation and restoration of wetland ecosystems;
- Addressing the impact of EU policies on wetlands in other regions of the globe, and strive to ensure that international or third-country policies do not undermine the success of Union environmental legislation.
The founding NGO members of Wetlands International European Association are: Centro Ibérico de Restauración Fluvial (Spain), Centrum Ochrony Mokradeł (Poland), Euronatur (Germany), Tour du Valat (France), Sustainable Eel Group (UK), the Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust (UK) and the Zoological Society of London (UK).