Head of Programmes
Job Title: Head of Programmes
Location: Ede-Wageningen, The Netherlands
Reports to: CEO
Manages: 4-5 programme leads and oversees the performance of the project team
Salary: 65-90k Euro, subject to experience and in the framework of the organization’s salary scale
Purpose of Role
Based on a clear vision and strategy to transform landscapes in all regions of the world, Wetlands International develops and manages projects and programmes involving multiple partnerships as well as collaboration amongst the office network. The Head of Programmes is overall responsible for the mobilisation, alignment and efficient implementation of programmes, in cooperation with our regional offices.
As a member of the global Management Team s/he takes collective responsibility for the organisation’s strategic development and impact, together with the Head of Communications and Advocacy, the CEO and COO. S/he oversees the performance of the programme and project teams.
Based in Ede-Wageningen, The Netherlands and reporting to the CEO, the Head of Programmes:
- Provides overall oversight of programmes; acting as the focal point on programmes for the network;
- Oversees the quality and effectiveness of programme development and implementation, ensuring network collaboration and enabling synergy between the programmes and staff teams linked to each Stream (and Stream Implementation Strategy);
- Oversees reporting on achievements and outcomes as part of the organisational annual planning cycle;
- Works closely with the other MT members to connect and coordinate the implementation of partnerships and programmes (linked to the strategic vision and goals) with steps in organisational development;
- Oversees the programme and project team in Head Office, ensuring team members are inspired, motivated and engaged with clear understanding about their contribution to Wetlands International’s Global Strategy;
- Provides advice and expertise to the Wetlands International offices, working with key staff across the network to ensure that Wetlands International’s global impact is maximised and coordinated;
- Ensures that project and programme targets are met and that programme achievements and learning are shared, through collaboration with the Knowledge, Innovation and Learning team;
- Regularly benchmarks Wetlands International’s programme activities against other organisations, ensuring that Wetlands International demonstrates value for money and best practice while also seeking new, creative and sector leading approaches;
- Acts as a full member of the global Management Team, to take collective responsibility for the organisation as a whole as well as specific responsibility for the accountabilities outlined above.
The Head of Programmes is a facilitative leader who supports the programme and project teams in Head Office as well as in the global network, to develop and implement programmes that enable Wetlands International to meet its strategic goals. S/he combines strategic and technical capacities with guiding and coaching skills. Through nurturing and coordinating staff to develop and deliver an effective portfolio of programmes, and working as part of the multi-functional global Management Team, the Head of Programmes enhances the impact of the organisation as a whole.
- At least 7-10 years of experience in relevant roles and positions;
- Management experience in programme development and implementation with a track record of successful results. Able to build a high performing team;
Skills and competences
- Commitment to Wetlands International’s mission, values and ways of working;
- Ability to inspire, empower and motivate colleagues in and outside the programme team and partners;
- Proven ability to mobilise ideas through developing and coordinating teams;
- Confident communicator for internal and external audiences;
- Diplomat, good listener with strong interpersonal skills and comfortable working across different cultures and levels of society;
- Ability to travel regularly.
- Excellent communications skills in English, essential: written, oral and presentation; knowledge of other languages, a plus
- Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant discipline;
- MBA or other postgraduate/masters degree preferred.
This is an office-base, full time (36 hours per week) position. Core office hours are between 9h30 and 17h30.
Contract Period: The post is offered by 23 months contract, followed by a permanent contract if mutual satisfied.
Relocation package or 30% tax regulation can be considered when eligible.
How to apply
To apply for the post, please send a letter of application stating the skills and approach that you would bring to this specific post along with your resume /CV in strict confidence by email to Karem Armstrong at email@example.com.
Documents must be submitted in English and in Word format. No other format will be considered. No documents others than those requested will be accepted at this stage.
CVs with photos will not be accepted.
Please ensure that documents are sent with the titles “your name cover letter” and “your name CV” and state “Head Programmes – Wetlands” in the email subject line. Please let us know, in your covering email, where you found out about the post.
Deadline for applications: Sunday 19 February 2017, 18.00 CET