Wetlands International is the only NGO dedicated to the safeguarding and restoration of wetlands. At the heart of our vision is a plan to demonstrate whole landscape recovery in large wetland landscapes across mangroves, peatlands and freshwater wetlands across the world. These are landscapes which are among the top global biodiversity treasures, but which are also sources of much of the world’s land-based climate emissions and where people are most poor and vulnerable.
Reporting to: Director, Operations and Network Development
Full-time: Full-time, 36 hours per week (part-time is also possible)
Location: Global Office: Ede-Wageningen, Netherlands
Grade/Salary: Competitive, dependent on experience
Purpose of the role
The Network Development Officer is responsible for the planning and management of projects relating to organizational development and for providing support to the operations and decision making of the Wetlands International network. The Officer will support the annual cycle of key internal processes, including on planning, governance, and management, and will be responsible for managing projects that support our network of office worldwide. This is intended to result in better cooperation at network level, strengthened capacity of our staff and an increase in the resilience of the organization.
Responsibilities and tasks
- Set-up, coordinate and follow-up of the annual and multi-year plan(s) that implement the Strategic Intent (2020-2030).
- Support and coordinate the institutional development plans of Offices, and produce structured overviews and analysis.
- Act as project manager for organizational development projects including financial tracking, planning, developing terms of references, liaison with contractors, standard project (sub) contracting, coordination and writing of reports.
- Maintain an overview of governance of individual Wetlands International Offices, and advise on action required to strengthen this E.g. process improvements, training.
- Plan, coordinate and follow up of Network Management Team meetings, and the Annual Meeting (including drafting agenda and meeting reports).
- Support as required the organization of Supervisory Council and Annual members meetings (online and in person).
- Support the preparation and follow-up to the Programme Leadership team, enabling linkages with other teams and governance mechanisms.
- Plan and coordinate other activities that foster better collaboration in the Wetlands International network and increase effectiveness and transparency.
INSIDE Wetlands International: Reports to the Director Operations and Network Development. Works in close coordination with the CEO, Director of Resources, Heads of Office and their delegates, Programme Heads and the Heads of Fundraising, Communication and Advocacy and the Global Office support team.
OUTSIDE Wetlands International: Partners; (non) governmental representatives; donors; and consultants as required to fulfill the main duties.
The successful candidate will likely be a team player with experience in managing projects (planning, budgets, implementation, and reporting), ideally in relation to organizational management. They will be familiar with working in an (international) network organization and the corresponding meetings and processes needed to ensure its effective functioning. They will have expertise in collecting, analysing, and managing information in a structured way in digital systems and in coordinating internal projects with staff from various countries and cultures. They will be service-oriented, systematic, and accurate, with a ‘can do’ mentality and attention to detail in planning and follow-up. They will have an affinity with the mission of Wetlands international.
Education and experience
- Experience in managing projects (financial tracking, planning, developing terms of references, liaison with contractors, coordination, and writing of reports).
- Expertise or experience in how international, non-profit organizations (charities) are managed.
- Experience in the set-up of effective meetings among senior managers in an organization, including drafting agendas, note-taking, online facilitation tools, etc.
- Strong analysis, planning, and organizational skills.
- Good writing skills and fluency in English (other languages an asset, especially French or Spanish). Speaking/writing DUTCH is a PRO!
- Proficiency in working with digital information systems to collect and structure information for management purposes E.g. SharePoint, Teams.
- Affinity with working with/in multi-cultural international teams.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Bachelor degree (or equivalent) in management, business administration, law or organization, or other relevant fields.
- Affinity with the mission of Wetlands International.
- Teamwork: Working collaboratively with others to achieve common goals and positive results.
- Organizational Awareness: Understanding the workings, structure and culture of the organization to achieve results.
- Planning and organising: Defining tasks and milestones to achieve objectives, while ensuring the optimal use of resources to meet those objectives.
- Networking/ relationship building: Building and actively maintaining working relationships and/or networks of contacts to further the organization’s goals.
- Communication: Listening to others and communicating in an effective manner that fosters open communication.
How to apply
To apply for this vacancy, please send us a resume and an application letter indicating your motivation to Jozefa van der Veen, HR Officer [email protected].
Please mark in the subject: “Application – Network Development Officer”. Questions about the vacancy and/or procedure can also be sent to this email address.
Deadline for the application is Sunday 10 April 2022.
Interviews will take place in the week commencing 11 April 2022. Good candidates might be approached before the enddate.